While most immigrants including those who are undocumented, those who have DACA and those with temporary visas do NOT qualify for most public benefits, those with Lawful Permanent Resident Status (LPR) can utilize public benefits in order to get on their feet and make a better life for themselves.
May immigrants come to the United States in the hopes of finding safety, financial stability, and education. Receiving public benefits helps to make this possible. However, this is being threatened by a new public charge rule proposed by the current administration.
Click here to stay up to date with the public charge rule as it is being challenged by the courts.
- Learn the important points regarding public charge and the current law with this information sheet from the Immigration Legal Resource Center.
- Get up to date information about Public Charge and understand the facts with the Protecting Immigrant Families (PIF) campaign’s Analysis and Research page.
- Know your rights regarding Public Charge and health care with these resources from the Protecting Immigrant Families (PIF) campaign.
- Read background information and resources regarding the possible changes to the public charge rule on this page from the National Immigration Law Center.
- Sign up to receive email updates about the public charge rule.